Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 11:38:08 -0600
Chris, that was an outstanding overview of what we are doing in LC work.

I'm *suspecting* :) that we will never get it all into a list of protocols
that *must* or *must not* be followed, even though the desire is high for
such a fail-proof set of rules. Working with humans precludes "always" and
"never" and one size fits all.

One of the problems with medical protocols is that they don't allow for the
fact that there are unique practitioners working with unique people. The
goal of a *standard* protocol is that one doesn't have to think and
evaluate the situation at hand. The ease over-rides the desired outcome.
The desirable HCP thinks outside the box. The desirable protocol allows for
flexibility in judgement.

"Bags of tricks", individuated to the LC, accompanied by experience,
intuition, and presence is what gives us confidence in what we are doing.
That is the benefit of sharing with others what has worked for us. That new
knowing might fit our way of LCing and we have another option.

When we are new at the job, another's bag of tricks can be most helpful
until we find what fits our way--we gain our footing. So we keep sharing on
Lactnet and other gatherings what we have found to assist us in our work,
with the goal of helping mothers and babies to "feed."

Pat Gima
Mailto:[log in to unmask]