From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 May 2001 09:32:52 +0100
Thanks for posting about this article.  It is nice to read something
different for a change.  It is interesting to reflect that recently the UK
government campaigns for our UK national breastfeeding awareness week have
had images of designer jeans/shoes/caps, slogans about 'fast food for
babies', moody black and white images of parents with babies {not
breastfeeding] and this year, lurid coloured images of paretns with babies
[not breastfeeding] featuring model thin 'mothers' and a slogan for dads:
'be a hero' [for supporting breastfeeding].  Its unclear how well these
images are grounded in amy market research / focus groups to see if they are
acceptable / enticing to the audience, which is women who don't usually
consider breastfeeding.  Also, any results of evaluations have not been
shared by the Dept of Health, but one assumes they were positive as the
campaign continues (???).

Fiona Giles also challenges us to 'think outside the box' in terms of how we
present breastfeeding.

I am most curious about her forth-coming book.  Do any of you Australians
know what it will be called and when it is due to be published (I could not
find it on Amazon UK or US)?  If you don't, I will email her.  Thanks

Magda Sachs
Breastfeeding Supporter, BfN, UK