From:
Annelies Bon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 22:14:30 +0000
Carolyn Brown  wrote:<<<
Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I've been wondering
about this for some time.  How can one find out how a particular medical
study was financed??>>>

Interesting question. I think in most cases it is mentioned somewhere in
the scientific article itself.

A couple of months ago I read a report that was written for the
participants of a research. The research (named BOKAAL) aimed to test
the hypothesis that supplementation of formula feeding to breastfed
babies during the first days after the birth would cause an increase in
allergic illnesses at later age. The reason for this research was that
this theory was widespread but never proven.

they divided the group of babies into two groups: one group recieved
formula, the other group white coloured glucose water. (note that they
did not include a group of babies who were not supplemented at all). It
was a double blind test.

They falsified the hypothesis: they did did not find more allergic
conditions in the children who were supplemented with formula.

But now: The sponsor of this research was Nutricia, the Dutch formula
producer. Nutricia also had prepared the supplements: the formula and
the glucose water that was coloured white. This was made with a *secret
recipe*.

I don't think it is surprising they found no adverse effect of the
formula supplementation.

--
Annelies Bon               http://www.flnet.nl/~0bon01/bfbronnen.html
bf counsellor in training of the Dutch bf org "Borstvoeding Natuurlijk"