Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2007 19:28:18 +0100
>We all know that BF dramatically decreases the risk of SIDS by at least 5
>fold.  I have read somewhere that BF also decreases every month of age so
>that by 6 mo of age most of SIDS cases are AIM feed infants.  So at 1 mo it
>may be 50:50 (AIM:BF); 2 months 60:40 and so on.  I just need the
>reference.  If anyone has great statistics like this I would appreciate it.
>Kristi

I'd be interested in this, too - especially if we can Weissingerise
it, so we can say clearly that formula feeding *increases* the risk
of SIDS, if this is the case.  In the UK, there is *no * official
support for the notion that formula feeding increases the risk of
SIDS.

I suspect at one month of age, SIDS cases are overwhelmingly formula
fed, and by no means 50:50. This is, as we know, not purely cause and
effect -  SIDS babies tend to have smoking parents, and parents who
smoke are much more likely to use formula, and there are other
circumstantial factors involved as well.  I  do accept that there are
a number of epidemiological problems in coming up with anything
definite.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK