Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 20:26:49 -0400
Sounds good Rob.  I would not have restrained myself quite as nicely as you
did.  I would not have resisted mentioning that if the baby "needed to be
weaned" because of the medication, then feeding on the "good" side does not
avoid that particular problem.

Speaking of which, I spoke with a mother today who apparently has mastitis
(but I'll bet she doesn't, from her history).  Anyway she was treated by a
physician who said that if she didn't get better in a few days she would
have to be admitted to the hospital.  When she expressed concern about this
he said, according to her "That's what you get for breastfeeding".  Does
this type of "doctor" not merit some bashing?  (Verbal only of course).

Another example.  I saw a mother yesterday with 8 week old twins, wanting to
relactate.  At two weeks, mother admitted to hospital with mastitis.  She
was given "dry up pills" without even being told that she was going to get
them.  What kind of a doctor does something like that?

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC