From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 12:29:03 -0800
The letter below was in today's letter to the editor of The Olympian.  Dr.
Bartha below runs a medical/consulting practice for patients who have been
chemically sensitized at home, school and at work.  Washington State has
also passed a law that all schools must notify the parents when pesticides
are applied.  My daughter used to be her patient.
Judy Ritchie

Toxic chemicals persist in fatty tissue
Northwest Environment Watch and Washington Toxics Coalition recently
released a study on levels of toxic flame retardants in Washington mothers'
breast milk.
As a doctor, I am concerned about the impacts of persistent toxic chemicals,
particularly on children. These chemicals have the ability to persist for
long periods of time by collecting in fatty tissue.
Babies are high up on the food chain and therefore can receive a mother's
buildup of toxic chemicals through breast milk. This exposure can impact
cognitive abilities for his or her lifetime. The best way to prevent
exposure is to avoid introducing these chemicals into the environment in the
first place.
I recently joined 128 health care professionals in asking the Washington
state Legislature to fully fund a state program to phase out persistent
toxic chemicals.
This state program -- the Department of Ecology PBT Program -- is necessary
to help stop persistent toxic chemicals from entering our internal and
external environment.
I feel strongly that lack of funding will adversely affect public health in
Washington State.
Liliane Bartha, Olympia