From:
Elaine Mazgelis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 05:42:00 -0400
As a WIC Nutritionist and Registered Dietitian, I still worry whenever I
see a WIC client on a vegan diet (very rare) or even on a super-strict
vegetarian diet of her choice. In the back of my mind, I am asking
myself, "does this participant really understand the diet?" As you can
probably imagine, most very strict vegetarians do not stay on WIC for
long, because many of  the foods we give are those contraindicated in a
strict vegetarian diet (cows' milk, eggs, etc). That may change in the
future, but that's a different post.
In any event, I always wish I could be sure that parents are extremely
well-educated on the diet, and I do worry about them.  I can't help it.

Elaine Mazgelis, RD, IBCLC
Cambridge-Somerville WIC
Massachusetts, USA