From:
Dawn K Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 23:10:31 -0500
----- Original Message -----
> > I DO NOT work in a hospital(thank goodness) > >
> >Dawn Martin
> >
> Boy, sometimes this list can be pretty scorching for some of us. Ouch.
> Karen in CT
> (Not even bothering to don the flameproof suit...it doesn't help anyway.)

***********
Karen and others, especially those who work in hospitals,
Please accept my apologies for any hurt feelings.  I should have given this
more thought before I hit the "send" button.  Understand I did not mean that
YOU ALL were the reason I was glad I didn't work in a hospital.  I'm glad
YOU do because I COULDN'T.  I couldn't watch mother after mother labor on
her back until she agreed to get/asked for an epidural, be present day after
day in a hospital with a 60% induction and 25% c-section rate (those are
real stats around here), see a mother be separated from her baby for even a
moment during the first hour or so, let (without comment from me) doctors
supplement babies who really just need to hang out with mom for a while,
give out bags of advertising calling it a gift, etc..... You get the idea.

BTW, the fact that a circumcision is difficult to watch seems like more of a
reason to have the parents present.  Jewish custom dictates that a family
member or close friend hold the baby during the Bris, the ones I've attended
there was a roomful of people.  Maybe if more parents were aware of exactly
how circumcisions happened there'd be fewer in the US (circs, not parents).

Sorry again for my insensitive remark, I think of you all as the Goddesses
of Lactation (okay there are some men on the list, I guess you guys can be
honorary Goddesses).  I would never purposefully offend.

Sincerely,
Dawn Martin
Austin, TX