Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:54:45 -0700
This sounds wonderful.

I have to give myself a kudos on this same vein.  I teach 6th grade,
English, in an inner-city school.  Breastfeeding is either viewed as
normal (from those kids who are 1st generation) or sick, but I talk
about it very naturally, and it just works its way into the
conversation.  This week we were talking about propaganda, persuasion
techniques, and evidence needed when writing, etc. including the idea
that evidence needs to be adequate, appropriate and accurate, and that
when viewing evidence one must consider the source.  My 1st example was
the tobacco industry--would we go to a tobacco company website for
information on how to not smoke or how to quit smoking.  The kids got it
right away.  My 2nd example was formula companies who produce baby care
books/magazines, and include information regarding breastfeeding.  How
accurate, appropriate or adequate  would information be given by formula
companies in regards to breastfeeding.  These 6th graders got it, and we
discussed breastfeeding with only a few snickers.  I can't help but
think that a few of these students will remember this example, not to
mention the idea that I'm talking about breasts and their real use to
these preteens.   Oh, the kids then brought up themselves the idea of
the dairy industry promoting milk as producing strong bones, including
the commercial where the man looses his arms because he doesn't drink
milk.  And some discussed the idea that they can't drink milk without
getting sick (many African American kids said this).   It was a very
interesting conversation in regards to species specific milk, and why
cow's milk might not be our best source of nutrients.

Joylyn