From:
Jodine Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 17:01:51 -0700
> From: [log in to unmask]
>

> "Babies can make their own DHA and ARA naturally from other nutrients found
> in Similac w/ Iron.  DHA and ARA are complex fatty acids available from
> breastmilk, newly supplemented infant formulas, and from the natural
> conversion of simple fats found in breasmilk, infant formulas and other foods
> in the diet."
>
> Well, this is totally news to me.....and I guess IF the allegations are true
> (about babies making their own DHA & ARA from the ingredients in formula,
> then WHY put more in?  Which may or may not be bioavailable to infants?  And
> which may cause more problems than not?
>
> I'm flummoxed.  THis looks like major marketing hype, of course -- but why?
> Because Mead Johnson now has the major share of the market?
>
> Marsha Walker -- what do you think?

I puzzled over a similarly worded statement in a WalMart magazine. The
article, "Fatty Acids in Breast Milk" is presented alongside an ad for
Enfamil A+, which is the Canadian brand name of the DHA/ARA-enhanced Mead
Johnson formula.

The sentence is: "Infants are able to manufacture some DHA and ARA from
other nutrients provided in breast milk. However experts agree that the
preformed DHA and ARA in breast milk represent the most important source of
these nutrients." I'm puzzled as to why that sentence is there.

If any of you would like to see the full article and ad text, I have a rough
version up here: http://www.edmontonbreastfeeds.org/walmartbrochure.html

I plan to scan the magazine so it's easier to see the juxtaposition of the
ad and article.

Jodine Chase