Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Aug 2012 04:31:06 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Hi
Dysphagia is a term that refers to eating, drinking and swallowing disorders. The diagnosis is usually made through Videofluoroscopic Swallow Study  i.e. xray while drinking (or eating). It is not possible to do this study with a baby breastfeeding, so it is usually done with the baby being fed milk in a bottle, which already raises questions about the accuracy of 
observations (IMHO). I cannot imagine a 6 month old readily accepting a bottle so I wonder how the milk was given during the study? The VFSS is usually performed by Speech Language therapists, so contacting the therapist who did the study may shed more light on the situation.

It will depend on what was found during the study to necessitate thickening, so try to find out more information on whether there  was a VFSS, what the outcome was and what the reason was for doing the study in the first place. 

I think a lot of questions has recently been raised about thickening in babies. This review may shed some more light if you can access it.  ICAN: Infant, Child, & Adolescent Nutrition 1941406411407664, first published on May 5, 2011 Thickened Liquids as a Treatment for Children With Dysphagia and Associated Adverse Effects: A Systematic Review

Hope this helps.
Loraine Hamm
SLT/IBCLC
New Zealand

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2