From:
Loraine Hamm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Aug 2012 04:31:06 -0400
Hi
Dysphagia is a term that refers to eating, drinking and swallowing disorders. The diagnosis is usually made through Videofluoroscopic Swallow Study  i.e. xray while drinking (or eating). It is not possible to do this study with a baby breastfeeding, so it is usually done with the baby being fed milk in a bottle, which already raises questions about the accuracy of
observations (IMHO). I cannot imagine a 6 month old readily accepting a bottle so I wonder how the milk was given during the study? The VFSS is usually performed by Speech Language therapists, so contacting the therapist who did the study may shed more light on the situation.

It will depend on what was found during the study to necessitate thickening, so try to find out more information on whether there  was a VFSS, what the outcome was and what the reason was for doing the study in the first place.

I think a lot of questions has recently been raised about thickening in babies. This review may shed some more light if you can access it.  ICAN: Infant, Child, & Adolescent Nutrition 1941406411407664, first published on May 5, 2011 Thickened Liquids as a Treatment for Children With Dysphagia and Associated Adverse Effects: A Systematic Review

Hope this helps.
Loraine Hamm
SLT/IBCLC
New Zealand