Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 14:44:36 EST
Rachel writes:

> I've taken to recommending simply keeping mother and baby together as this
> keeps blood sugars higher in babies and gives them more opportunity to
wake
> up near the breast, and has a positive effect on mother's milk production.

Absolutely!  I worked as an IBCLC for an OB/CNM group in a hospital that had
LDRPs -- babies didn't go to the nursery.  Even in looking at moms that had
epidurals and/or medication in labor, those babies still breastfed more
frequently in the first 24 hours than in the other hospital,  the LDR & PP
was separated, and babies often went to the nursery.

Now, I'm solely in the hospital where the LDR & PP is separated.  The
average
number of feeds during the first 24 hours has increased from 4-5 to 6-7,
though there are a few that will nurse 8+ times, and a few that have only
nursed 3 times in that first 24 hours.  Epidurals are given almost
routinely,
Stadol & Nubain not so much.  The difference is that in the babies that
breastfeed more frequently DESPITE the medication, the baby has stayed with
mom in her room rather than being sent to the nursery at night, even coming
out for feeds.

Now while I'm a proponent of eliminating epidurals and drugs and all manner
of routine hospital interventions, and using supportive measures instead
(and
I'm not saying we shouldn't use the above when they are absolutely
necessary), one of the best ways to get over that hump is to keep the moms &
babies together, skin to skin, to give them (the babies) every opportunity
breastfeed.  Not to mention making sure every baby is left undisturbed on
the
mother's abdomen until the first feed is accomplished.

Well, I can dream, can't I?

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC -- Wheaton IL
Lactation Education Consultants
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com