From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 15:19:21 +0200
Arly's suggestions for other ways to simplify one's life, as sent to Real
Simple, were great.
Coincidentally, I just got a newsletter from my favorite bookshop, in which
a new collection of essays, edited by Barbara Ehrenreich, was being
promoted.  It is called 'Global Women - Nannies, maids and sex workers in
the new economy'.  I've already sent my daughter who lives in Oslo where the
bookshop is located, to buy it so we can both read it on our vacation.

The book's premise, aside from the innate exploitation of these often
underpaid women from poorer countries, is that the migration of women from
Asia and former East Bloc countries to do this work, causes a shortage of
caregivers in the countries exporting this labor.  'The conclusion is that
the major resource being pumped out of the third world is no longer gold nor
silver, but love.'
This could make a cynic out of anyone, really.  First, eliminate
breastfeeding.  Then, eliminate living your own family life.  The order is
unimportant.  Hiring a substitute to live your life for you will boost
formula sales doubly, because the people you've leased will be unable to
live their own lives or breastfeed their own children either.  Is it any
wonder that diseases of alienation are among the most serious threats to
public health?  Why stop at paying for the contents of the bottle?  Why not
just pay someone to cuddle your kids, and while you're at it, take care of
your male partner too?  No more of those messy contact sports!
I'm going to move in with Hathor, or with the mother in Baby Blues.  Maybe
one of them would like to nanny my children!!
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway