Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 19:22:10 -0400
The article on engorgement in LLL International's  Breastfeeding
Abstracts was published August 1991, volume 11, no 1.

It says "cold reduces fluid filtration into the interstitium, owing to
vasoconstriction.  Prolonged application of heat (more than 1-2
minutes ) has the potential for increasing interstitial edema which
can become so pronounced as to obstruct the lactiferous ducts."
"With appropriate cool thermal treatments to reduce interstitial
edema and effective milk removal, physiologic engorgement
should not develop into pathologic engorgement and should
resolve within 24 hours"    (Linda Shrago )

I tell my moms about cabbage and warm and cold treatments and
suggest mom use whatever feels good for her and hopefully it will
all feel much better in 24 hours.  And babies can usually do a much
better job of making the breast more comfortable, than a pump,
especially if mom softens the nipple and areola before feeding.

Ruth Bacon  IBCLC  Thornhill Ontario