From:
Dawn M Kersula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 1998 11:54:35 -0400
"LATCH:  A Breastfeeding Charting System and documentation Tool" can be
found in JOGNN, January 1994, pages 27-32.  (that's vol 23 number 1).  I
know that's not proper referencing!
Authors are Deborah Jensen RNC, Sheila Wallace RN, CLE, IBCLC and Patricia
Kelsay, RN, BSN who were apparently at Sacred Heart General Hospital in
Eugene Oregon at the time.
We've been using latch scores at our Birthing Center for about three
years.  They're required once per shift, included on flow charting.
At first the "busy nurses" took their time and really watched and
helped...lately we've been getting a little sleazy and I've been seeing
moms with sore nipples getting 10's (not possible if you have sore
nipples!).  (And I know LATCH doesn't correlate to much of anything but it
was a start and chosen by the unit nurses -- I wasn't one at the time.)
Hope this helps.   Dawn Kersula in Southern Vermont..the boat tailed
grackles are back with their brilliant colors!