Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:41:36 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Nikki,
I feel we are dealing with a multifaceted problem. As an L&D nurse as well as a Lactation Consultant I couldn't agree more with what you find in your place of work. I see the same issues where I work. I also see a whole generation of women who willingly and happily go along with this sceduled induction for social reasons, soft medical reasons etc. They also do not want to labor , do not want to feel any pain, want early spinals/ epidurals etc. I remember wanting to labor at home as much as possible and wanting to try to have a natural birth as much as possible. I was able to do just that. 
But I also see a very litigenous society, not willing to accept anything short of perfection in every aspect of their lives. This includes their births and their babies. This does weigh on the MDs when they are managing a pregnacy with some complications, a labor that is compicated, and a second stage of labor that is showing failure to descend, or a non reassuring fetal heart rate tracing. It weighs on me as an L&D nurse as well. If you've never been through a deposition in a court case it is easy say he/she should have not been quick to operate. 
Healthy mother healthy baby is the outcome I want. Some vaginal births are horrendous and should have been C/S.
It is complex these days and there is not a simple solution.......and it is off topic I fear.
Jane Ciaramella RNC, IBCLC
L&D Part time
Lactation Consulting Part time

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2