From:
Jennifer tieman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2003 20:43:52 -0400
As some one pointed out earlier, heart palpitations are more common with
hyperthyroidism.  However, if mom is receiving supplemental thyroid hormone
for hypothyroidism, she may be receiving too much at this point and thus be
experiencing hyperthyroid symptoms.  The endocrinologist should be able to
tell this easily with a blood test.  Since this mom has a known thyroid
issue, this is the most likely cause of her palpitations.  However, if the
thyroid work-up doesn't help, she probably needs an evaluation of her heart.
In young folks, most palpitations are benign.  They are often worse during
stressful times.  Limiting caffeine intake, getting plenty of rest and plent
of fluids may help in those cases.  She can try those things at least while
awaiting her work-up.
I have a type of benign palpitation (isolated premature ventricular
contractions) and I have found that taking multiple vitamins, including
prenatal vitamins seems to make them worse.  This is just anecdotal, I don't
have any reference for that!

Jennifer Tieman
Family Physician
Mom to 3, and new baby #4 expected 5/31/03 (oh my gosh, that's this month!)