From:
Judy Le Van Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 09:56:03 EDT

In a message dated 5/4/2005 5:25:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

I know  LLL official stance on wet nursing is that we are not to  discuss
it,  and in no way do I want anyone to think that the LLL leader in my  group

presented the idea to us or endorsed it by LLL.  This was  something  that we
came up with on our own and it  worked.

In case anyone is interested, LLL has a good article on this subject which
does include guidelines if a mother asks about this issue:
_http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVJulAug95p53.html_
(http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVJulAug95p53.html)

Suggestions:
"If a mother asks about cross  nursing, a Leader can suggest that a
substitute nursing mother needs to be  screened carefully using the following criteria:

    *   She should be healthy,  well-nourished and taking no medication.
Ideally, she has an infant about the  same age as the one she would be cross
nursing.
    *   She should be screened for  tuberculosis, syphilis,
hepatitis-associated antigen, cytomegalovirus, herpes  virus, HIV and other infectious agents.
    *   She should not smoke, drink  alcohol, or consume large amounts of
caffeinated or artificially sweetened  beverages.
    *   Her own infant should be  healthy, gaining well and free of all
infections. "
Just to clarify, I wouldn't say that LLL's official stance is that we are
not to discuss it -  as Leaders we are called to discuss anything a  mother asks
about, although sometimes that means admitting there isn't all  that much
known about something, or that we do not have an official policy on  it, or that
it is a complicated issue requiring time spent out of a group  setting to
discuss. I see it as more that we do not specifically endorse  it,  but as always
we need to provide mothers the best most updated  information about the real
downsides, and they need to evaluate whether  those potential challenges are
overridden or less problematic than the  alternative ( baby not nursing from
anyone, possibly ever, baby having to  receive artificial milks, etc.)

Judy, who is not a LLL Board member, just a Leader for 16 years.

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL, Brooklyn, USA