From:
Anne Fox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2012 05:06:35 +0000
Hi All

Thanks for all your replies.

What about the near term baby (35-37wks) healthy and on the ward with mum.He doesnt always breastfeed so well.

When he doesnt he gets alot of formula(as per quota for bottle fed babies).

This makes him so full he doesnt wake up and feed properly on breast next time, so has to have full quota again!

Mums milk is not in yet and she is expressing as often and as much as she can and getting amounts we are happy for a healthy term baby(not a near term).

Would it be good if we could give less than this magical quota(that nobody can give me references/research for)?

Why couldnt we watch behaviour and output and initially blood sugars and top up as needed with EBM/formula?

I understand the need for caution,but I think we make more problems by blindly doing what we have always done.Where is the evidence??

I know as an international list there will be many different protocols.

Anne IBCLC CM