Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2011 22:53:31 EST
Dana writes:

I was  wondering if it is safe for a mother to use her PIS that she used
say 2 years  ago for her other child
~~~ Hello all,

Dana asks a question on my mind. The great minds on LN have alerted us that
 the theoretical risk of using a pre-owned pump is now an actual risk.
Keeping  this in mind, I got a call from a mom today who described the signs of
yeast/possible yeast. I asked her if her pump was new and she said yes.
Somehow  I remembered to ask something/say something else that prompted her to
say "well  I bought it new, but that was in 2008". So...she has a pump that
was never used  by another mother, but it's 3 years old. That is a long time
for mold to have a  chance to grow. I can't tell her that her yeast is due
to pump mold, but I did  tell her that the company only guarantees their
pumps for one year and the  potential for mold growth over time, since it's not
a closed system and cannot  be cleaned,  is probably one of the reasons
why. It does seem like a mom  has to decide to sacrifice her pump to find out
whether there is something  problematic/icky and not welcome growing in
there. Ah always more complications.  I do tell moms  about better/differently
constructed pumps. Anything else  we can do? This mom's baby has feeding
issues which make some pumping a  necessity to avoid formula. Argh.
Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA