From:
Karen Gromada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2006 09:39:55 -0500
> >This is consistent with their policy--we do allow mother's to
> breastfeed their infants, provided it is accomplished with a degree of
> modesty so as not to be offensive to others.
> It continues
> Flight attendants are the authority in the passenger cabins, and it is
> important to remain compliant with instructions at all times.  This
> authority is supported by Federal Air Regulation 91.11 which indicated
> that persons who appear threatening,intimidating or otherwise
> interfering with a flight crew are subject to serious consequences<
>
> I won't even talk about the *discreet* bit...
> BUT
> Would somebody please explain to me how a mother nursing her baby can
> be considered to be "threatening,intimidating or otherwise interfering
> with a flight crew"?

Second Post:

> ...So I see now, that the flight attendant's power have elevated them to that
> same status.  Or have they?  What are the limits of power of the flight
> attendant?

Spoke to a friend who has 19+ years as a Delta Airlines FA. She says the FAs do NOT have the authority on that airlines to "boot" a passenger off the plane. That "order" has to come from the pilot. The FA obviously would bring any passenger issue grave enough warrant the boot to the pilot who would then further assess and make a decision. (She also said she doesn't know whether the same policy holds for Freedom Air, so there may be variation from airline to airline -- and it could vary from larger planes with several FAs as crew vs. smaller jets with a lone FA, such as the Freedom Air flight. The gate agent who became involved in the VT episode would not have had authority for decision making.)

FAs are basically taught the "customer is always right" unless it involves the safety of the craft and its passengers. In the 19+ years this friend has flown for this major airlines -- on all sizes of planes, with crews from all over the USA, to/from national and international destinations -- she has NEVER even heard of an episode as per the the recent one. She said BF babies/toddlers are fairly common on flights and she's not met a FA who's complained or made a negative comment about it. Not to mention, a number of her colleagues are BF moms themselves.

You wouldn't believe the passenger stories (all put in "generic" terms so no identification possible) my friend has shared re: her and colleagues' flights. I'm frequently amazed at their resourcefulness in problem solving; can't imagine any FA with even a bit of experience who'd be unable to handle a couple of teen boys trying to catch a glimpse as a mom breastfeeds.  Re: "...please explain to me how a mother nursing her baby can be considered to be "threatening,intimidating or otherwise interfering with a flight crew" -- I wasn't there, so I can't imagine this either and it sure seems far-fetched, but based on the stories my friend tells, I can imagine it could be possible.

She also told me that the recent nurse-in "demand" re: storing EBM would be difficult/impossible to accommodate -- not because a FA wouldn't want to help but because it's impractical due to type of refrigeration space on planes and how filled it is from the get-go; said they can offer bag of ice so passenger could keep milk under foot area compartment.

So, 19+ years for my friend -- plus how many years for other FAs -- and does anyone ever "catch" them doing right -- when a FA is accommodating, helpful, taking BF for the natural act it is? Not in her experience...

Karen