From:
"Susan E. Burger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 May 2001 11:47:05 -0400
*********
Date:    Sat, 12 May 2001 22:41:42 EDT
From:    "Lori Salisbury, RN, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>

> Has anyone worked with any moms who have had similar situations?  How long
> were they
> able to exclusively BF from just 1 breast?
***********

Dear Kerrie:

My circumstances are not identical as the mother you mentioned, but even so
it might encourage her anyway.

I had two fibrous adenomas removed and, while I have since observed many
mothers who were completely able to lactate after similar surgeries, that
was not the case for me.  I was never able to produce very much from my
right breast and it took an IBCLC to notice that my son was not really
swallowing on that breast.  I did all sorts of things to try to boost
production on that side to no avail.  So I ended up I using the right side
for comfort and finally gave up nursing on that side when he was nine
months old.  Now that I know more about lactation, I realize that there are
a few more techniques I might have tried to increase production on the
right side, but I don't think it would have made that much of a difference.
I STILL nurse my son at 26 months old and he shows no signs of being ready
to self wean anytime in the near future.  I did not manage exclusive
breastfeeding to six months because I went back to work when he was two
months old and never let down very well for the pump. He did get about 90%
breast milk.  Once he started solids he stopped formula entirely.

I also think I should have seen an IBCLC much sooner than I did. I made
some mistakes in breastfeeding management that I do believe led to my son
growing somewhat slower than I think he should have. I am NOW convinced
that his slow growth is due to those mistakes, not to the fact that one
breast was producing so little.  Nevertheless, it was very upsetting at the
time and I worried constantly about the lack of production from the one
breast. Since then, I have also seen some mothers who have low production
on one side give up if they are not given agressive encouragement. So, my
personal opinion is that observation from an IBCLC right from the start
would useful to help prevent any problems that might interfere with full
production on the one breast and also provide emotional support and
encouragement.

Of course, every mother is different and may have different needs.

Susan Burger, PhD, MHS
(studying to become an IBCLC)