Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 10:42:25 -0600
I am just getting to the point in my studies where we are talking about
pelvimetry.  In fact one of my lessons today is on external pelvimetry.  I
read a paper yesterday from an article gathering that Ina May Gaskin did,
the paper goes on to discuss pelvimetry and how she believes that the
inadequate pelvis is a myth.  Of course there are going to be some women who
will be the exception, but here we are talking about most women being able
to birth vaginally.  She said that when her clients first come to her she
tells them the best way to ensure that their pelvis is adequate is to become
familiar with it.  She instructs moms to sit in the squatting position
several times a day for different lengths of time.  She recounted a time at
a conference when she demonstrated by having someone do an external
pelvimetry on her and then she squatted for about 30 minutes, at the end of
the time the same person did the exam again and she had two plus extra
finger widths that were not there before the squatting.

Now I know this is off topic so I will try not to post anymore on it.  I
just think the whole point is that while this doesn't directly link to
bfing, it does indirectly, especially for those of us who are more than
lactation consultants or counselors.  This is info that I will be able to
share with my preconception. counseling clients, my child birth education
clients, my midwifery clients AND my lactation clients.  It comes full
circle.  Empowering women to feel good about their bodies and leading them
to know their bodies can do wondrous things will go a long way in both
fields.  I would assert that a woman who has confidence that she can birth
normally will also have confidence that she can feed her baby normally (read
breastfeed).

Melisa
~*~*~*~*~
Did you hear? Breast is Best!
Certified Lactation Counselor
Student Midwife
Alternative Medicine Counselor in Training
Childbirth Educator
www.nurturingmama.com

Mom to Harry who changed my life,
Jacob who changed my spirit, and