From:
katherine in atl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 22:42:28 -0400
<<4.  BTW, she's also been taking probiotics, grapefruit seed extract
(used it
> both topically and orally) and her mother is a professor of clinical
> nutrition who has loaded her w/ all the right foods.  Anything else to
> think
> about it in this arena?>>

i'd probably quit the GSE since it's not helping and would lean toward
bromelain to help with the inflammation.  Bromelain won't help the
infection itself, but will help speed healing by mitigating the
inflammation.

here is some good evidence based information on bromelain:
http://healthinfo.healthgate.com/GetContent.aspx?token=e0498803-7f62-4563-8d47-5fe33da65dd4&
chunkiid=21619

The dose tends to be 2 tablets of the 2000 GDU strength, 3-4 times per
day *on an empty stomach*.  If taken with food, it simply digests the
protein portion of the food.  If taken on an empty stomach, it crosses
the gut wall and digests inflammation causing proteins in the body.
It's very effective.

while the abx are the right route as pamela mentioned, i'd still be
doing all of the supportive things that i do when there is an infection,
viral or bacterial.   immune supportive herbs,
antibacterial/antimicrobial herbs, zinc, vitamin a, protein.

Zinc is very beneficial as tissue stores of zinc are depleted very
quickly whenever there is severe stress - physical or emotional:  cut,
burn, surgery or any other injury that damages skin integrity....and any
huge emotional stressor real or perceived.  She's had all of those.

Low levels of zinc seem to be a common problem in the post partum
period.   Here are some basic functions in which zinc plays a role:
<<Zinc is an essential mineral that is found in almost every cell. It
stimulates the activity of approximately 100 enzymes, which are
substances that promote biochemical reactions in your body (1,2). Zinc
supports a healthy immune system (3,4), is needed for wound healing (5),
helps maintain your sense of taste and smell (6), and is needed for DNA
synthesis (2). Zinc also supports normal growth and development during
pregnancy, childhood, and adolescence (7, 8). ......

snip

........Breastfeeding also may deplete maternal zinc stores because of
the greater need for zinc during lactation (23). It is important for
mothers who breast-feed to include good sources of zinc in their daily
diet and for pregnant women to follow their doctor’s advice about taking
vitamin and mineral supplements.>>

That info is from:
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/cc/zinc.html

Here is some more good information on zinc:
http://healthinfo.healthgate.com/GetContent.aspx?token=e0498803-7f62-4563-8d47-5fe33da65dd4&
chunkiid=21654

The cool thing about zinc, is that sufficiency can be tested by taste
perception of some preparations of zinc.    Some people can test
sufficiency by using a regular 23 mg zinc lozenge.   Some ppl, incl me,
have difficulty assessing zinc status with a flavored lozenge.   There
are 3 preparations on the market that test zinc status.  Here is one:
http://store.yahoo.com/iherb/zincstatus.html

it's amazing how clear it is with such a product.   Zinc need varies
from individual to individual.  Enough zinc is very very important.  But
more is NOT better.    Because of this, it is unwise to take 'extra'
zinc without knowing how to test status with a liquid preparation or a
lozenge.

Here is some information about the Upper Limit of safe intake of zinc:
Zinc toxicity has been seen in both acute and chronic forms. Intakes of
150 to 450 mg of zinc per day have been associated with low copper
status, altered iron function, reduced immune function, and reduced
levels of high-density lipoproteins (the good cholesterol) (34). One
case report cited severe nausea and vomiting within 30 minutes after the
person ingested four grams of zinc gluconate (570 mg elemental zinc)
(35).

if she chose to do any of these supplemental therapies, they would be in
addition to, and not in place of,  appropriate medical therapies.....

:)
katherine in atl