From:
Julie Jarvis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 08:09:26 -0800
Chris:
The estrogen is not the contraceptive ingredient in birth
control pills.  The progesterone is what prevents
ovulation.  They add estrogen to regulate menstrual cycles
and counteract some of the side effects of the
progesterone.  Were you on antibiotics, or any other
medication when you got pregnant while you were on Alesse?
Sometimes other medications will interfere with the actual
absorbtion of the hormones.  Oral contraceptives aren't 100%
effective, either.  In some women, it matters what time of
day the pill is taken; even if you don't miss a dose, but
just take it late-- it could be enough lapse for you to
ovulate.  This is more important when taking the
progesterone-only pill.  Nursing mothers on the progesterone
only pill also usually have the added effects of lactation
to reduce the chance of ovulation, but that depends on how
much they are nursing and how their body responds to the
hormones.  In my own case, after my kids were born-- and
exclusively breastfed round the clock-- I started regular
menses at 8 weeks postpartum.

Julie Jarvis RPA-C    from Kansas where the weather hasn't
made up its mind
mailto:[log in to unmask]