From:
Winnie Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:24:13 -0500
I recently received the following info in an e-mail:

I came across your IBCLC credentials while online and thought I would write you. My name is ..... and I invented a new breastfeeding product a few years ago I called ........ a very unique breastfeeding bracelets that make it easy for mothers to remember which side they nursed from, what time and how long.

It went on to offer a reduced price if I would sell them.  I sent the following reply:

I am afraid I have no interest in your product.  I find such a gadget switches the focus from the baby to the measuring device and/or a clock.  Moms need to focus on the baby, not the clock.    When moms use such reminders as rubber bands, safety pins on the bra or something such as your product, they soon can't remember if they moved the marker and wind up using what I like to call the "scale method".  In other words, whichever breast feels heavier or fuller is the one to offer the baby first.  When there is a genuine medical concern that requires a mom to keep close records on the baby's feeding, they also need to be recording things like diaper output and need an ongoing record for them and their health care professional (LC. MD. RN or whatever) to review, not just the previous feeding.

Winnie Mading