From:
Robert Cordes DO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 12:48:59 -0400
I have a 6 month old baby I started on iron for anemia.
Baby was a 37 week IUGR. BW 4lbs 4 ounces, 1.93kg. He has nursed well and
had doubled birth weight by 4 months.
Baby has a PDA and VSD. Recently it started getting symptomatic and he was
started on Larix and digoxin.
I saw him one week after he started the meds. His weight was down a little
but maybe from diuresis? However he has the same weight as at 4 months.
Mom says the last week or so he ha been a poor breastfeeder when he had been
very good.
We talked about breast compression and low stimulation environments to feed
as this seemed to be what he needed.
I suggested starting some solids by expressing milk letting the fat
separate, spooning that off and mixing with cereal as he doesn't have much
interest in solids.
I got a CBC which showed microcytic, hypochromic anemia with hgb of 7.5.
He is on iron now at 6mg/kg/day.
Does anyone know of evidence for giving iron supplement with or with out
breast milk? I'm thinking with to use the lactoferrin to increase
absorption.
-Rob

Rob Cordes, DO, FAAP, FACOP
general pediatrician