From:
Diana Cassar-Uhl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 00:32:55 -0500

Judy,

My children also had many food allergies/sensitivities.  I eliminated dairy
and eggs (eggs are always eliminated for me, as I'm allergic to them, and I
found tremendous improvement in my own overall health when I eliminated
dairy, suggesting a sensitivity/allergy as well) with a lot of success.  I
do still consume soy but in very small quantities -- perhaps 4-6 ounces of
soy milk in my cereal, that sort of thing.

One article I read somewhere was very anti-soy, but I did take from it that
the fermented soy products (miso, tempeh, tofu, etc.) are better than the
highly processed soy foods that are designed to mimic other foods, like soy
"sausages" or soy "bacon" or soy "hot dogs..." etc.  Because they're
fermented and already partially digested, they may be better tolerated by
this baby, and therefore good choices for this mother to add back into her
diet in moderation.  I also really watch closely that I'm not eating
processed foods with "autolyzed soy protein" or "soy protein isolate" or
things like that.

While it is also soy -based...I found a scoop of Spiru-tein powder mixed
into a fruit smoothie helped me feel like I was getting the protein and
nurtients I was missing from my limited diet.

Another food she might want to try eating more of is nuts...though in
allergic/sensitive babies, nuts are another food to watch out for.

The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network (online) was a terrific jumping-off
point for me when I began negotiating my new diet.  Check it out and see if
it might help this mother, too.

Assure her that it will take some getting used to, but she'll be able to
have a complete diet without those foods.  Also, assure her that it's not
forever.  Many breastfed babies begin to tolerate small amounts of the
offending foods added back into their mamma's milk as their insides mature.
Both of my initially very dairy-sensitive children can now tolerate a
serving each day of cheese or yogurt with no ill effects.

--Diana in NY