From:
Mary Herrington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 09:00:33 -0800
Hooray to you, Andrea, for NOT giving this mom the permission to stop breastfeeding that you felt she was "asking" for.

  I have had a mom tell me months after she had been through those early days of breastfeeding stuggles that during that critical period so many friends and family kept giving her those sympthathetic comments, those "permission to quit" suggestions- and it really made it HARDER for her to do what she truly believed in her heart was best.  To a dazed and confused new mom- those comments can really wear down resolve and weaning can seem so attractive.  This mom even suggested I add to my breastfeeding class:  A warning to mothers about all those "permission to give up" comments that come from well meaning friends and family.

  Mary Herrington, RN, IBCLC
  Labor & Delivery, Hermann Memorial The Woodlands
  Lactation, Hermann Memorial Northwest
  Texas