From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:25:07 +1100
I managed to find the article last night. It took me a while to work out
that the journal is actually called "Signs" with journal of women in
culture and society as a secondary title. In the library catalogue I used
it was listed only as "Signs". I read the artcile last night (what a
doosey- printed off as 37 pages) and I hate to say that although I think
that his premise is fundamentally flawed and that he aided his argument by
pulling quotes out of context that it is worth reading just to see another
way of looking at what information we do have about breastfeeding. He also
points out figures that breastfeeding advocates use to back up their claims
may be on shakey ground scientifically (eg 4 deaths /1000 due to formula
feeding). Now I don't doubt that the figures might be somewhere around
there in reality or even higher but from the discussions I have read on
Lactnet I am not confident in how those numbers were come to. This bloke
uses that uncertainty to his full advantage. He is as scathing of maternal
bonding as he is of breastfeeding and Klaus and Bowlby get lashings of
criticism. I guess he would like children to be cared for institutions
rather than families and go back to orphanage days in the west.

Anyway, like I said, worth reading. If you are associated with a university
that has an extensive library then you may be able to access the paper on
line. Otherwise the journal only has table of contents available

Karleen Gribble
Australia
   _ ---_l\