From:
Dawn Kersula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 20:23:01 -0500
We have a protocol -- it's changed in the past couple of years. All
babies' blood glucose levels were tested previously, now it's only those
at risk for hypoglycemia: LGA, SGA and babies whose mothers had
gestational diabetes. And then -- the protocol states -- breastfed
babies are to be breastfed if their levels are low.

The risk when you do nothing is seizures and brain damage if a baby is
truly hypoglycemic(....not just a weird heelstick reading). The best way
to get a good reading is to have the lab come do a heelstick. And you
hate to do that on a newborn, but it's a way to stop the ABM.

The rate of gestational diabetes here in Brattleboro seems exponentially
higher than ever before. It's frustrating because moms with GDM who are
not taking their nutrition seriously are also at higher risk for having
complications during the birth. (These babies gain weight in a way that
makes them at higher risk for shoulder dystocia -- not a pretty
complication.) In addition, if mom's blood sugar levels have been high,
the baby's pancreas is making extra insulin to take care of the
neverending flow of glucose. When that 24/7 flow is abruptly stopped --
the baby's blood sugar levels will abruptly drop!

So it goes back once again to needing to change society....hopefully our
kids who've grown up with good diets and lots of breastfeeding will be
less likely to have gestational diabetes, and this vicious cycle will be
replaced with a delicious cycle (or something... I think I'm getting
tired!)

Dawn Kersula
Musing in southern Vermont