Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:45:16 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
Hi,

A multip mom I'm seeing is having deep breast pain that is baffling the IBCLC's in the area including myself.  With her permission, I'm asking for help.

This is her 3rd baby who is now 5 mos. old. Baby is fine, no diaper rash, growing well, latches great (has a cold right now).  Mom has no visible problems with her nipples.  She states after 5-10 min. after BF, her nipples burn and sting (no blanching) sometimes and her breasts feel  sharp stabbing pain which is making it hard for her to function in the family.  She has had 3 cases of mastitis with this baby.  Dr. thought it was thrush so she was on 200mg. of Diflucan for 5 days. (not enough, right?)  She also used gentian violet.  She's taking liquid acidopholus (has strawberry,honey, milk in it) and eating a good diet but is having trouble sleeping. She also has some plugged ducts every now and then.

I recommended warm compresses immediately after BF; take just reg. lactobacillus (not with all the other stuff), massage breasts to get the plugs out before BF.  Has anyone ever heard of vasospasms in the breast as opposed to in the nipple?  Anyone heard of using nifidipine for the breasts not the nipples?  Could it be that all the occurences of mastitis has made her ducts quite sore?

Okay any ideas?  What am I missing?

Thanks,
Lisa Broughton BS, IBCLC
Concord, CA 

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2