From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:35:16 +1000
I am supporting a mum who is in the process of attempting to relactate for her adopted daughter. She's been pumping, pumping for a significant period of time and while she's seen breast changes is seeing very, very little milk. I've talked to her a lot about her situation and I really think that a major issue here is that she's having difficulty with getting a MER in response to pumping (was not good at pumping with bio kids either). However, I discovered today that she's having a lot of pain when she starts pumping...grit the teeth and clench the body type of pain. She starts pumping on a very low suction and slowly works up to half way or so but still has this pain at the start. Clearly would not be helping with the situation. She shouldn't be having this pain. Any pump gurus out there who might have some idea what the problem is?? She's using a Medela Lactina. I'm wondering about flange size?? Any other thoughts??

Karleen Gribble
Australia

Karleen