From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 18:56:52 -0500
> but I certainly would expect those credentials to stand on their own,
> regardless of the path the person took to get there.

I agree totally with the above, also the part about the profession of LCs
being so rich, simply because we do come from so many different backgrounds
and professions.  I think eventually some standardization of
education/clinical practice will strengthen our profession, but I for one
don't want an RN to be a pre-requisite and I don't want LC-ing to be
"medicalized".  I think part of our passion for BF comes from the very fact
that we approach things from "outside the box of medicine".  Rigidity of the
walls of the box of medicine is what is currently causing so many moms to
not succeed with any BF goals at all!

I came into nursing through the back door, I was the mother of 5, a LLLL and
a childbirth educator, and I think that, as much as my subsequent years of
nursing practice, is what makes me what I am today.  We all have various
talents to contribute to the profession of LCs and docs will eventually
catch on, just have they have with many other allied health professionals.
Sincerely, Pat  in SNJ