From:
Janet Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 17:21:42 -0600
On the subject of very preterm infants and expressed milk supply:  It
has been my experience with these mothers that their milk production has
remained and exceed adequate with the earliest possible introduction of
skin-to-skin holding and their remaining physically near their infant.
We are a level III referral site for our state and have many patients
whose mothers are not able to stay here with them, these mother
inevitably show a decrease in their expressed vol.  There are obviously
many other variables that also come into play, i.e. stress, previous
breast feeding exp., equipment, mothers maturity (age and emotional),
and support just to name a few.  But we all know the bottom line is that
this is a mother/baby thing and not a mother/pump thing! I am very lucky
at my institution in that the Neonatology staff is very supportive of
breast feeding infants and mothers and provide for them.  As I have seen
previously......Just my .02 worth
Janet Bryant RN,IBCLC
Arkansas Children's Hospital