From:
Glenn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 1997 15:58:12 -0700
Good on you!!  I knew you would have a cogent answer, just wondered how similar to my own it would be.

My response when similar questions arise, from adults of all walks of life, as well as teenagers, is:

I feel that the future of our civilization rests on turning around the isolation and hostility, poverty and disease, rife in our societies -- that our infants' health and welfare are the cornerstones of all of this -- and, that if we spent a fraction of the money, energy and technology that currently goes into warfare and military might, around the world, on giving infants and children a healthy and solid start, we could accomplish a much more utopian world within a few generations.  I feel that with all our education and experience, who better than we to advocate for breastfeeding and a better world.

I also point out that while I have only had one child of my own body, I have had hands on in the births of thousands of babies, and affected the lives of thousands more by using and sharing the education I have been fortunate enough to receive.  I have had a very good life, and it is my privilege and responsibility, to enable and empower the same for others.

Sincerely,  Chanita, San Francisco