From:
anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2006 09:00:59 -0400
I am one of those LCs who always brings a scale with me on all visits.I feel
that a good, accurate to 2 gm scale is an essential piece of equipment for
all lactation consultants. Of course, like all equipment, the scale is only
as good as the person who is using it. Knowing when to use equipment and how
to interprete results is what the skills of a LC are all about. Otherwise
anyone could just go to see new babies with a scale. Using a scale is not a
replacement for clinical knowledge, it is part of the information gathering.
When babyies are not gaining weight at the breast, it is eseential that all
pertinent info be obtained for the complete evaluation bofore a plan can
recommended.

I recently saw a baby who was latching  and "feeding all the time" who was
still below birthweight at 8 weeks. When test weights were done the mother
saw for herself that all the sucking and swallowing was not of much milk at
the breast. A plan to get this baby's caloric intake up was established
while working to fix what was not working. Test weights can also reassure
the mother whose baby feeds 5 minutes on one side that indeed her well
gaining, happy, contended baby is doing fine.The list is endless as to the
uses of a scale. I always bring my sclae in on a homevisit. Even when I do
not think it is really needed. I offer a weights on a baby, most mothers are
interested and love to see how well they are doing. This can be very
concrete positive reinforcement about how wonderful a mother's milk is  etc.
If in doublt, do a test weights and then use your clinical knowledge to
intrepret what has occurred. Use this as a teaching tool for your mother.
Ann Anderson BSN, IBCLC NJ