Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2007 20:41:03 -0500
I finally got to see my PCOS mom and baby in person.  Baby is gaining
an ounce per day with 4oz daily formula supp, and since mom cannot get
domperidone or metformin, she is fine with this.  An aside--she notes
that one quick way to get her breasts to "fill up" is to take a
half-hour walk.  She comes back leaking.  I figure the exercise must be
regular her sugars.

Anyway, the kiddo has a pretty decent suck, given a bit of tongue-tie.
He can lift but not extend, but he does get it out enough that he has
not damaged mom.

What was more dramatic to me was that he never did gag on my finger,
which I practically had down his throat, and his soft palate did not
curve downward.  It felt like it hung like a puffy curtain straight
down from the end of the hard palate (which was normal).  He has a much
easier time nursing if mom puts a rolled towel behind his neck to tip
him waaay back.  He will only gulp through part of the letdown, and
then much smaller sucks.  I guess this is because he is taking the
chance to breathe with less obstruction?

Is this palate thing a consequence of reduced tongue mobility?  Any
ideas what to do about it?  Mom is very close to throwing in the towel,
though what is bothering her is typical neonate neediness rather than
the feeding issues, which she has figured out how to cope with.

It was nice to really be able to praise her to herself.  She is all
alone all day with a 14mo and a 1mo, and yet she has figured out the
baby's preferred feeding style, spontaneously figured out how to help
him open wider and flange, and even the towel-behind-the-neck thing.

Lynn in MO