From:
Cathy Fetherston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 15:15:07 +0800
I think Laurie makes a very good point that is often overlooked by many
parents who have babies and young infants with allergies:
> In general, besides finding the allergen culprit, it is helpful to not bathe
> the baby too often, use a very mild cleanser (the pedi, derm, or allergist
> could suggest), use a very mild detergent in the wash, not scented, and
> double rinse the baby clothes, no dryer sheets in the dryer, no scented
> lotions, etc, no baby wipes, no mommy perfumes, etc. Has she considered all
> this too?
I feel too often dietary sources are jumped on as the only likely culprit
without any consideration of environmental allergens. My daughter (now 14)
had severe eczema as a baby, followed by rhinitis, and asthma as she grew
older. She has never been identified as having any food allergies at any
stage but is allergic to many environmental things such as some soaps,
perfumes, dog and cat fur, dust mite, and many pollens and grasses. Even
certain types of synthetic clothes will exacerbate her eczema. I believe
these causes are not discussed as often as they should be, leaving mums to
think it must be some dietary source they've missed (when perhaps it isn't).

Regards
Cathy Fetherston
Perth, Western Australia