From:
Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2012 12:28:57 -0700
So interesting, Kirsten.  I want to clarify one thing -- are you saying that with your youngest twins, sometimes they would choose to stay on one side for 7+ hours but other times would switch more frequently?  If so, how differently would they nurse on different days?  Would it sometimes be quite different -- say, hourly one day vs big block another, or was it a more gradual flow back & forth in routine?  Your story reminds me too of an early word for a lot of nurslings "side, side" -- some kiddos say "side" to switch or bob/wiggle the idea, some moms report "side" becomes the nursing word.

Babies try so hard to communicate, I love the way you give them credit for knowing how to manage at mom's breast.

I wonder how often moms are "diagnosed with oversupply" when other things are in play -- TT, our failure to "read" baby communication, and more.  (Not that there isn't sometimes imbalance in milk supply.)  I wonder too (as I've heard others on this list suggest) whether there is more TT out there as opposed to more "diagnosis" of TT.

Like you I wish I could go back in time -- and like you I am also glad we can share with other mothers.  I love that you are able to share your experiences both as a nursing babe and as a nursing mom.  Just wow.

Susan Johnson MFA, IBCLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA