From:
Margaret Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 1996 00:37:02 -0700
I agree that the public is beginning to recognize LC's and that is the
reason that Lactation Consultant should be a "legally protected" term,
not just IBCLC and LLLL.  If not, it is bad publicity for the profession
when there is a different level of care/knowledge given by folks each
proclaiming themself "LC".  It's also just plain confusing for folks
who need to have a simple explanation of who an LC is and how he/she was
trained.

Sorry to harp on about Physician Assistants, but we can all learn from
their history:  Prior to 20 years ago, ANYONE could call themself a PA;
now one must be graduated from AMA approved program.  There was a
grand-fathering period during which informally trained PA's could pass
the certifying exam and earn the right to call themself PA without having
to go thru an AMA approved program.  That time has passed.  I believe
that the current system helps PA's to have good credibility and
uniformity of basic knowledge.  We all continue to learn from experience
and continuing ed.

Incidentally, I have no "personal interest" in stating that LC should be
made a legal term as I am not IBCLC...yet.  (July 1997?)  When I'm asked
I always state clearly that I'm not an LC (altho' I've heard the argument
that technically I am since I'm an LLLL) but I DO lactation consulting or
counselling based on my job as a PA, experience as LLLL and special
interest/learning in lactation.  Having just taken my recert exam as PA,
I have EXTRA great respect for those of you who are IBCLC and just don't
think it's "fair" to call myself LC until I get the "sheepskin."

my, my I have opinions on lotsa stuff tonite!

Meg Wright, PA-C, LLLL