From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 16:29:54 +0100
I've always been intrigued by the foods mothers attribute gassiness to; one
woman I worked with was studiously avoiding all 'strong' foods, such as
cabbage, onions, garlic, spices, and APPLE JUICE, for fear of causing her
baby an upset stomach.
Cabbage, broccoli, rutabagas, onions and beans all have sulphur in them and
I can certainly testify that this passes into milk.  The standard Saturday
dinner in our hospital is a vegetable stew containing rutabagas.  Anyone
working Saturday night knows that the babies break wind all night long and
it smells sulphurous - great fun for mothers, babies and staff!  They have a
hard time settling on that night too, but I wouldn't label it colic.  It's
not at all severe, just noticeable.
Some mothers will continue avoiding suspect foods as long as they are
breastfeeding, even after the child is taking solids and consuming all the
same foods directly with no trouble.
Rachel Myr
where a potted hydrangea I received as a thank you from a family I helped
both at work and as a peer counselor outside of work, is blooming in its
third week... and I had no qualms about accepting it.  They delivered it
themselves at my house.  I'll cross the $50 gift certificate at a restaurant
bridge if I ever come to it!