From:
Moshe Shulman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 1996 14:53:25 -0700
Did anybody hear William Holub on the radio? He gave a refreshing perspective
on SIDS rather than the typical advice of putting the baby to sleep on its
back or side.

He spoke of three major stess factors that are linked with SIDS.
        1-Thermal stress. No matter what the thermostat is set at, isolating the
baby from the mother is a risk factor. (SIDS is also known as crib or cot
death.)
        2-Sensory deprivation stress. This is also a result of separation from the
mother. Baby is deprived of auditory (mother's heartbeat, breathing,
voice,etc) stimulation, as well as other senses by being kept alone in the
crib.
        3-Intervention stress. Such as myriad birth interventions, and abm.

Then he gave 10 steps to help prevent SIDS:
1-Become educated about conception, pregnancy and birth.
2-Have a natural home birth.
3-Breastfeed. Avoid abm like th plague!
4-Keep baby in the family bed.
5-Maintain holistic nourishment, including relaxation, aerobic exercise, and
  spiritual development.
6-Carry the baby around; maintain contact with both parents and siblings.
7-Avoid all drugs and medications in pregnancy.
8-Avoid toxic exposure such as X-rays, ultrasound, pesticides, cigarettes,
  alcohol, excess sugar, etc.
9-Avoid all vaccinations. Incidents of SIDS peak in the weeks following DPT.
  (He calls vaccinations "challenges to the immune system" and insists that
  breastfeeding is immunization in the true sense of the word.)
10-Avoid becoming a C/Sec statistic.

It is food for thought.

Oh, the introduction on my previous post was cut off, so I'll give it again.
My name is Devorah Shulman. I'm a peer counselor in a WIC office, and a wanabe
midwife. (I walk, talk and breathe childbirth). I am currently breastfeeding
my 17 month old daughter, who was born at home, and is my 7th child.
(K"H-which means they should be protected from the evil eye.) I have a BA in
psychology, but right now I'm a full-time Mommy.  Oh, and please don't mind my
husband's signature on any posts. I love Lactnet because it's such a great
source of information from so many different perspectives. I'm a little
nervous about posting amongst so many distinguished and lettered individuals,
but here I am.  Many thanks.

Devorah Shulman, BA, mother of Chaim Shimon, Laya Yides, Miriam, Yoel Aharon,
Gittel Rivka, Yisroel Yitzchok and Chava, K"H

--