From:
Jeanne Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 10:02:01 EST
Dear Wendy,
You write:

<<  but the doctor (a psychiatrist) insists that she stop breastfeeding
altogether immediately.  She refuses to do so.  >>

I'm sure many people will respond to your request for medication information,
but I would like to respond to this.  Many doctors do not understand the
importance of the breastfeeding relationship to the mother and baby.  This
mother feels so strongly about their continued need to breastfeed that she is
willing to go against her doctor's instructions.

I have often helped a mother figure out how to say to her doctor, "I will
refuse to take my necessary medication before I will wean my baby prematurely.
What medication can you offer that will allow me to continue to breastfeed."

I think once doctors get the picture that a patient will refuse needed
treatment before she weans her baby, they become a little more cooperative.
Good luck with this mom, and let us know what happens.
Jeanne Byler Mitchell
Austin, TX