Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2011 07:07:55 +0200
Hello Cathy,

Hope I can shed a bit of light on this topic for you and others who might
Be wondering the same thing.
LLLI thought it actually a good idea to be able to hold the "got breastmilk" slogan which is owned by the California Milk Processing Board for a few reasons, one to prevent it falling into the hands of any other conflicting entity only to be abused and used for negative purposes, and because it was very fitting for LLLI to be able to be the first to obtain the rights, since LLLI is the most veteran and well known International Breastfeeding organization.

While the thought of having ANY dealings with any Milk Board might not be considered by some as ideal, to the best of LLLI knowledge there is no Code issue per se, as the Code does relate to the unethical marketing of formula, bottles and teats. Cows milk does not really fall into that category. And the Milk Board does not market those items to any mothers, just cows milk and again, as far as we know, it is not targeting infants.

There is no agreement between LLLI and the Milk Board other than paying for royalties if and when LLLI decides to cash in on that catchy slogan in order to bring in revenue. (i.e. t-shirts, mugs, etc...) LLLI was not asked to pay an outright fee for the use and does not have any mutual advertising or promotion agreement regarding cows milk.

I think it would be prudent to actually direct your questions first to La Leche League International. I happen to be an IBCLC so I am here on the list, but would hate to think what can happen when issues are discussed without the relevant parties being a part of the discussion. It can't really lead to a productive discussion but rather a lot of speculation.

I hope this helps you and others.
Respectfully,
Ellen shein, IBCLC, LLLI Member of the Board of Directors.
Tel Aviv

----0500
From:    Cathy Urroz <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Got Breastmilk issue

Hello, I hope someone on this list can give me an expert opinion on the Got Breastmilk licensing agreement between LLLI and The California Milk Processor Board as far as being a violation of the WHO Code.  I´m a long time LLLeader (27 years this summer) and IBCLC from Mexico and this has created a lot of worry, mixed feelings and confusion among many, many of the spanish speaking LLLeaders in Latin America and Spain.  I know that LLLI would never do anything that breaches the Code knowingly, but this is an issue I would like an expert opinion on because I´m not well versed on this theme, and I´m also feeling worried and confused.

Since I usually only lurk to learn and feel a part of a caring and sharing and wonderful community, I will take advantage of my post to send hugs and my best wishes and gratefulness to all of you who share so much of your knowledge, expertise and resources.  You have helped me be up to date and whenever I have sat the exam (1989, 1999, 2004, 2009) and passed =), I know I always have you all to thank for. Blessings, Cathy Urroz

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5692 (20101210) __________

http://www.eset.com