From:
Lucy Towbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 12:40:29 -0600
So many women I talk to are afraid to breastfeed because of fears of what
will happen when the baby gets teeth.  I tell them that most babies don't
actually bite and if they do, they can learn not to do it.  I say that the
bottom teeth come in first and that the baby's tongue goes over those
teeth. Yet, two of my three did bite and it was very stressful for us to
deal with it.  Most women I talk to in clinic would have quit.  And all
three of my kids, as toddlers, seem to put a lot of pressure on me with
their teeth as they nursed, to the point that it was sometimes
uncomfortable.  So I want to be truthful, but not discouraging. I'd be
curious to hear what some of you say about this issue when discussing
breastfeeding prenatally.

Lucy Towbin, LCSW, IBCLC