From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 08:02:55 -0700
Jennifer said:
 Two years later it was reintroduced by a different
> legislator after a very public incident in which a mom was harrassed. It
> passed easily.
The point is that bills like
> this rarely get much more than a cursory glance the first time
> around--persistence is key.

If memory serves, Karen Zeretsky's LC Registration bill took 3 times
through the Louisiana Legislature to pass.
A state legislator in AZ (USA) told me there has to be a BIG problem to be
fixed, not just a theoretical issue. Ho-hum. There are issues everywhere -
no need for another new law for every one. There are some 900 +/- bills
presented to the AZ state legislature every year. They are weeded down to
the two dozen or so most important, most needed, solvers of the greatest
problems, etc. That could be why Jennifer's group was more successful after
a public 'incident'.
Moms have told me their stores of problems of nursing in family
restaurants, in shopping malls, or in a large company cafeteria, but so
far, not one mom has been willing to sign an affidavit attesting to her
experience. She doesn't want the personal publicity, she wants to keep her
job, husband objects to notoriety...

--- Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC