From:
"Glass, Marsha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 12:59:46 -0500
Lori asks,
where are these statistics from?  I was under the impression that
breastfeeding rates are on the upswing-and even with the scare on
co-sleeping I didn't realize that "more babies are sleeping alone".

That was in response to my statement that, "More babies are sleeping alone,
more are, if
> not totally formula-fed, then at least supplemented with formula.  In all,
> fewer babies
being totally breastfed and co-sleeping.
From the Healthy People 2010 goals, based on statistics from 1998, 64%
breastfeed initially (though in Indiana our numbers are <60%), then 29% at 6
mos. and 16% at 1 year, when babies are still at risk of dying of SIDS.
Just from observation in the hospital, many mothers supplement, so this 64%
doesn't mean exclusive breastfeeding.  I would just make the observation,
and I could be wrong of course, that with so many women working (don't know
statistics but have heard them), there is an increased incidence of
supplementation  (we have probably all gotten calls from the working/pumping
mom whose milk supply has dropped and she supplements, if the baby's lucky
and she doesn't quit altogether).  This is also a common reason women wean.
These moms also often find it helpful for baby to sleep through the night
and so do what they can to encourage this (one reason I know some moms have
resorted to Ezzo-type tactics).  Definitely, co-sleeping doesn't help their
chances of success!  I know, also, that here in Indiana, there was a drive
by the health dept. to NEVER sleep with babies.  They had a brochure stating
this and this was the directive given by staff.  I know there are efforts by
several states to come up with a list on when it is or is not appropriate to
sleep with your baby (risk factors etc), including IN (yippee!), but I don't
think we are an isolated instance.  I'm sure other areas have had the same
push.  With all the baby buckets today and parents unwilling to even hold
their babies to transport them from here to there, what is the likelihood
that these bucket-babies are sleeping with their parents or even in the same
room for any period of time?

I may be mistaken making these inferences, but I'll bet I'm not.   So, my
statement above is one I stand behind.  Fewer babies are being breastfed
(meaning < 50% for any length of time) and probably fewer than 50% cosleep.
Anyone have stats?

Marsha, who played musical beds with 4 children and a husband for nearly 15
years, and not a one of those kids sleeps with me now (though my 15 yr old
dd-my youngest- lays down on my bed and watches tv with me on occasion,
whereupon she has been known to fall asleep....  Ahhhh the memories!