Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 16:32:46 -0800
Ok oh wise ones-
What is the latest on whether or not it is ok to give unused portion of a
bottle of expressed milk at the next feeding or if the baby is hungry again
 a little later.  I get this question all the time and never feel
comfortable with the answer.  We know breastmilk has anti bacterial
properties and that breastmilk had a lower bacterial count after being left
at room temperature for hours, but it seems the going advice is to not
reuse the milk.  The powers that be tell us not to reuse formula or baby
food for the reason of bacterial growth and  contamination.  Must we waste
"liquid gold" for the same reasons? I do advise clients to store in small
quantities to avoid waste but there are times when feeding cues are misread
or baby falls asleep after an ounce or so.  What do you advise?

Thanks

Lori Werrell, IBCLC
Leonardtown MD

P.S. I tried searching archives but got nothing, maybe my terminology was
wrong.