Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2010 18:53:29 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
I hope you will not be disappointed to receive a response from a not yet LC. I will say in my clinical experience I have witnessed the importance and positive impact of immediate skin to skin and observance of the "Golden Hour" visitor restriction. The hospital I current practice in has a very long way to go to becoming "Baby Friendly". However there has been a recent directive promoting skin to skin. I can tell you that I have personally witnessed an increase in exclusive breastfeeding since the new initiative has been underway. In the simplest way possible I attribute this to infant learning. In my experience when an infant is placed skin to skin this promotes breastfeeding within the first hour while the infant remains alert. I believe an infant who has fed at the breast is more capable of subsequent breastfeeding even when less aroused. While the infant who has missed the initial skin to skin contact and first hour feeding appears to encounter more difficulty attempting a new challenge while half asleep, frequently resulting in increased maternal frustration and the inevitable request for formula.

Michelle

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2